The reason for the heavy mass is to support the atmospheric drag
study. The satellites are near perfect spheres, I think 32 micron
roughness. Castor is stuffed pretty tight with electronics, and
instruments and still was not enough. There are 112 D cell Lithium
batteries stuffed in there.

Pollux is lighter and actually had to have the shells thinned a bit to
meet the lower mass requirement and has only 28 D cells. The cells are
19 AH lithium primary cells.

Since power is very limited, stuffing it with electronics was not an
option. Castor needs to run on batteries for a year while Pollux 6
months. Pollux is expected to reenter in a little less than 6 months.
Castor will come back in a year.

Ivan