From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of James Duffey
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 9:46 AM
To: k...@cox.net
Cc: James Duffey; 'AMSAT-BB'
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: New ICOM VHF / UHF / SHF Radio

On Aug 23, 2009, at 7:49 AM, Michael Baker wrote:

>       If that's the case, I think I would opt for a K3 with transverters
> as that would be a better combination performance wise for the $$$
> investment.

While the raw performance of a K-3 is pretty impressive, it will cost
a lot more to reproduce the new ICOM-9100, or even the current
TS-2000, with a K-3 and even then, you will not have the ability to do
full duplex, which is required for serious satellite work. A modestly
equipped K-3 with 10W 2M output will set you back $2700 or more, you
need to add a 100W 2M amplifier at about $400, a 432 MHz transverter
at $400, a 432 MHz amplifier at $400, a 75 Watt amp at $400, and a
1296 MHz transverter at $600, so you are close to $5k, still without
the capability to do duplex for satellites.

For sheer performance you are better off with the K-3, but you pay for
it, and serious satellite use is precluded. - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey