AMEN!

Finally someone on this board, that also remembers what the big knob on
the face of the radio is used for.

Maybe it's a age thing of when you got into the hobby? Like when I got
into this hobby when Novices were only allowed crystal control.  It
wasn't all that different from using the birds.

You listened to your transmit freq. to see if it was clear. and threw
out a CQ.

THEN YOU TUNED THE VFO   and I mean a LOT  like up and down the whole
band looking to hear your call.  almost everyone was not by choice
operated split back then.  You could only afford so many crystals.  I
remember many times CQing on my 1 crystal for 40 meters 7.109  and find
someone calling me at 7.127  or whatever freq. they happened to own.
You had to listen to not only your own transmit freq. in case a general
or someone with a VFO called you on freq., or if nothing heard started
tuning around looking for someone off freq.

It was not un common to call CQ  then tune for a minute or so looking.
and everyone knew this so if you were answering a CQ but way off freq.
you made a long call  like maybe up to a minute even to give the guy a
chance to find you calling him.

It just drives me insane to hear people complaining about a little
doppler,  turn the big knob  DUH!

Joe WB9SBD