I haven't used AO-7 for some time (need to revise my antennas to do so again).
But, back in the "goode olde dayes" (when the satellite first went into orbit)
we didn't have any problems with Doppler.  The accepted method was to leave the
transmit frequency alone and keep one hand on the receiver to compensate for
the frequency shift and send CW with the other hand (or hold the microphone for
SSB).  No one even thought of compensating for Doppler any other way.

Of course at the time everyone used a separate receiver and transmitter (no
transceivers) so you could keep the receiver active while transmitting.  There
were hundreds of QSOs made on each orbit and everyone had a "ball".

Glen, K9STH
AMSAT 239 / LM 463

Website:  http://k9sth.com