Hi Loren,

I have an old ICOM R-7000 "Communications Receiver".  It covers 25mhz to 2 ghz
with a small gap from 999mhz to 1.025 ghz.  The old "cell" band is *not*
excluded, not that you can hear anything there anymore.  It covers all modes -
narrow, medium, and wide-band FM, AM, and SSB/CW.

I use the rig mostly as my S-band IF receiver, and for in-shack coverage of
scanner stuff (police/fire/etc.) outside the ham bands (my other non-HT radios
are ham-bands only).  As an IF receiver it does work pretty well, and it does
have a 10.7mhz IF output in the back.  Be careful, there is a 9v DC bias on the
connector (used for powering external equipment).  It's also got ICOM's
computer control (CI-V) interface, for computer-driven Doppler tracking and
such.  Drift has not been a problem at all, and I haven't had any trouble with
birdies, at least nowhere of any interest that I can remember.

But, as a general coverage receiver or scanner, it's 20-year age clearly shows.
 First of all, it's a bit deaf by modern standards.  The local NWS weather
channel is an S6 or S7, being fed by a very large TV antenna, with Preamp, in
the attic.  It's full scale on my HT with its rubber duck antenna in the shack.
 My S-band equipment (Drake 2880, and all that) barely gets above S1 or S2.
You get the idea.  The "scanner" is also pretty limited (i.e. slow), and it has
no concept of trunking or any of that sort of stuff.  The front panel controls
are also a bit of a puzzle, in that one of the most important controls is on
the BACK:  You choose from wide or narrow FM on the front, but your choices are
6/15 khz or 15/150 khz, and the group is chosen by a tiny slide switch on the
back of the unit.  I have no significant use for 15 khz, and you can't pick
6/150 as a combination.  USB/LSB is also a back panel switch, but nothing much
is ever LSB above 25 mhz so that's not a big deal.

It does have a significant role in my shack, and I wouldn't trade it for
anything except maybe the R7100.  Prices now are quite reasonable, if you can
find one.

Good luck in your hunt,

Greg  KO6TH