Greg D. expunged (ko6th_g...@hotmail.com):

> But, as a general coverage receiver or scanner, it's 20-year age clearly
> shows.  First of all, it's a bit deaf by modern standards.  The local NWS
> weather channel is an S6 or S7, being fed by a very large TV antenna, with
> Preamp, in the attic.  It's full scale on my HT with its rubber duck antenna
> in the shack.  My S-band equipment (Drake 2880, and all that) barely gets
> above S1 or S2.  You get the idea.

Keep in mind that the lack of receive sensitivity in the R7000 most likely is
due to old leaking electrolytic caps. Specifically, there is a DC-DC converter
board on the underside of the receiver that ends up generating broadband noise
as the caps fail over time. I recently rebuilt this board and have regained
nearly all of the sensitivity that I've lost. I suspect that if I replaced more
electrolytics I could have it back to factory specs.

-Steve

N1JFU -  http://n1jfu.blogspot.com - sme...@twitter