Hi Andrew,

I have a PIC based solution currently in the prototype stage. It uses a
PIC18F4455 and drives a Yeasu AZ/EL rotor without the Yeasy control box.

The PC sends information to the PIC (RequestedAZ,RequestedEL) and the PIC
sends back status information to the PC
(RequestedAZ,RequestedEL,CurrentAZ,CurrentEL,Status).

Everything is done by the PIC:
- Control of the rotor motors based on either move-every-n-seconds or
move-when-error-angle-is-greater-than-n
- Measurement of the actual AZ/EL with 10-bit resolution
- Parking when no signal has been coming from the PC in x seconds -or- an
explicit park command is received
- Stall protection
- Some horizon protection: EL cannot go below x when AZ is y to avoid
pointing into my neighbors' bedroom.
- Over the top rotor control (under development)
- ...

I'm using a PIC18F4455 and it is very well capable of doing all that and
more. I have chosen this path for several reasons:
- Eventually I want to run a tracking algorithm in the PIC too
- To make the control loop shorter
- To avoid dependence on the PC part specifically on safety related aspects
like stall control and horizon protection.
- To explore the capabilities of the PIC18
- (Because it's my job to do embedded HW/SW)

BR,
--
/\/\arc