From: Robert Bruninga [mailto:bruni...@usna.edu]
Sent: 20 October 2009 18:06
To: bruni...@usna.edu; 'Steve Daniels'; amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] Re: volunteering (Mobile Satellite PAPER Predictor)

Actually, There is another similar WEB page project
That does the same thing for ALL mobile operators,
Not just those with APRS displays.  It is simpler
And only has a single TEXT output:

Please see the idea on this web page:
http://www.aprs.org/MobileLEOtracking.html

PROJECT OBJECTIVE:  Develop a web page that any amateur radio
operator can go to that will print out this very simple PAPER
tracking device.  It is just a piece of paper with 5 columns for
each of 5 days, and on each of those five days, the TIME of the
best overhead pass for that users local area (morning and
evening).  For ECHO (AO51) this simple piece of paper with 10
times on it can be used for SHOWING the pass times of ALL
morning and evening passes for the next 2 or 3 months!

You don't need no stinkin computer to always know when AO51 is
overhead while you are mobile!  Just look at the TIME on the
paper for today's date. (ECHO's pass times repeat every 5
days)...  Each other satellite has similar REPEATABILITY.  Just
pring one of these slips of papwer for your favorite satellite,
and you will never need to do a prediciton again, yet, will
always hve what you need in the car to predict each day's pass
times.

Bob, WB4APR

Bruninga
> Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:56 PM
> To: 'Steve Daniels'; amsat-bb@amsat.org
> Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: volunteering (Mobile Satellite
Predictor)

> > I would like to volunteer to help out
> > in whatever capacity I can. I run my
> > own web server built by myself and a
> > few websites.
>
> Seeing your message, caused me to stop and think, what is the
> next thing I think might be valuable to help the general
amateur
> radio operators to better operate the satellites?  Again, this
> might not be at all what you are interested in, but let me
have
> a go at defining a nice project for someone in case this fits
> anyone's talents.
>
> PROBLEM:  To play satellites, you need to have a tracking
> program and to WATCH it all the time or do PLANNING to know
when
> to go play satellites.  Actually, this is so... Past decade.
>
> OBJECTIVE:  What we need is a "service" that continuously
feeds
> SAT-IN-VIEW information to everyone in the field right there
on
> their radio front panel, whenever any AMSAT is in view.  This
> way, you can be mobile, or hiking, or anywhere on the planet,
> and right their even without ASKING, the information will be
> PUSHED to you.
>
> SOLUTION:  Actually, this capability has existed since about
> 1997 on the APRS channel, but it only works where a LOCAL
> individual runs either APRSdata or DIGI_NED in the local
region,
> and maintains it.  In this case, mobiles, or anyone monitoring
> the national APRS channel will receive this INSTANT
information
> not only showing any SAT in view, but also its AZIMUTH,
> ELEVATION and FREQUENCY of both the uplink and downlink AND
> DOPPLER!
>
> You can see examples of this system on
> http://www.aprs.org/localinfo.html .  Move your slider about
90%
> down the page and look for the paragraph LOCAL SATELLITE
ALERTS.

> This way you don't need any PC, or anything.  But if you are
> mobile and if a satellite comes above the horizon in your
area,
> and you monitor APRS on your APRS mobile radio, then you will
be
> able to work the satellite (also mobile, since we only output
> the satellites that are easy to work from a mobile)...  The
info
> on the satellite is updated once each minute when it is above
> the horizon.
>
> Also, once each TEN minutes a SCHEDULE of any satellites
coming
> up in the next 80 minutes is transmitted to the DX LIST inside
> your radio, so you can also check for any future passes.
>
> PROJECT:  Rather than having to have 1000 volunteers all over
> the world, one in the footprint of every APRS local area have
> operate and maintain one of these programs (which is why most
> people never see these alerts), it would be nice if there was
> just ONE central server that fed this data everywhere.  Then
> only one person would have to update the server when new
> satellites were launched and once every week or so to download
> new TLE element sets.
>
> ISSUES:  In one sense this would be a great step forward, in
> centralizing the generation of this data.  But the problem is,
> that it still will not go from the APRS-internet stream back
> local RF in each local area, unless a local Igate operator
adds
> the "server" to his gate-to-RF list.  But at least that is
much
> simpler than having to maintain a program.
> Local AMSAT mobiles who want this feed, just ask their local
> Igate operator to add the server, and from then on, whenever
> mobile, they will see these alerts.
>
> RESULT:  Every mobile everywhere that is in view of a
satellite,
> even without any prior planning, will be alerted to a
satellite