Hi Jim,  SATPC32 will run the FT736r directly using a serial port or a
USB/Serial adapter to the 6 pin DIN CAT port on the radio.  However, the
cable must include a TTL/Serial converter.  Page 13 of my FT736r manual
using GND, S.IN only  If you are already running directly from PC to Radio
with the proper cable you need to confirm the baud rate on SATPC32 is 4800
as that is the only rate the 736r understands.

When I used to run WISP for GO-32, it did NOT run the radio or rotators.  It
just ran the TNC.  SatPC32 did the radio and rotator controller.

I made a TTL/Serial adapter and mounted it inside the DB9 connector. See
here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ve4yz.alan/RS232TTL#

Hope this helps

73, Alan VE4YZ