From: Erich Eichmann [mailto:erich.eichm...@t-online.de]
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:51 AM
To: Jim Bennett
Cc: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] SatPC32, Yaesu FT-736, and KCT

Hello Jim,
as Alan, VE4YZ, wrote already you can run the FT-736R with SatPC32 directly
at a serial port of the PC. You need a CAT interface for level conversion
RS-232 > TTL. In the sub folder KCT in the SatPC32 program folder you will
find a schematic of an interface that can easily be built by yourself.

You can run the FT-736R  also at one of the 2 serial ports of the KCT Tuner
(ports A and B).  The KCT can  be configured for TTL level (see the KCT
manual p. 15). So, you save a COM port and don't need an external CAT
interface for level conversion. You will find detailed instructions
regarding rotor AND CAT steering with the KCT in the file Readme(KCT).txt.
The text can be displayed from the SatPC32 menu "?", "Hints[Rotor] ....KCT".
(I just tested CAT steering of my the FT-736R with the KCT-Tuner again and
it
works. Let me know if you want to know my settings.)

Regarding performance it makes  no difference whether you steer the FT-736R
via the PC's serial port or the KCT Tuner.  The CAT system of the FT-736R
does not allow to read the VFO frequencies. So, with CW/SSB sats it can only
be tuned around the passband with the mouse or keyboard but not with  the
VFO knob ("transparent tuning").  With other radios CAT steering directly
via a COM port has the advantage that it allows "transparent" tuning. That
doesn't work if you steer the radio via a KCT Tuner port, because the
SatPC32 software for the KCT only sends commands but does not read from the
port.

73s, Erich, DK1TB