Would you rather have it in a menu or risk damaging your various
amplifiers when you forget to adjust it for whatever input might be
required?  This would be a moot point if you were going to run the rig
barefoot and rove with it.  But, if you are a serious op who desires an
amp on each band, having to adjust the control from band to band is a
pain in the ass and a recipe for disaster.