Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL wrote:
> Well, it certainly wasn't on FM.  Why couldn't the next LEO be like a new
> AO-7 with modern technology?  Why does the Board insist on cramming another
> single channel bird down our throats?

We looked at building and launching an AO-51 sized satellite with
transponders. The launches we could find prices for were from 400,000 to
700,000 dollars. Do you think we could raise that amount of money in 2-3
years? No one on the BOD did. Those were all 800km or less launches as
well. The low LEOs with transponders, like VO-52, are used by very few
compared to the FM satellites. Furthermore, a 1-U cubesat only generates
about 2w of DC power. That will support a decent FM repeater, but not
much of a transponder.

We have a lead on a set of launches to an AO-7 type orbit, but we really
need some industry type people to help negotiate for us to try to get a
spot on one at a reasonable price. There are very few launches going
above 800km, and they are mostly Russian. Interested parties can email
me with their background and for details if they want to help.

If you recall we also mentioned we were working on a secondary payload
for a large LEO that will be a Mode B transponder. We can't say with who
yet, but isn't this exactly what you are asking why we are not doing? We
also have a university in the Northeast working on a 3U cubesat that
will support a transponder powerwise. This was all laid out in the
donation letter, as well as Barry's Apogee View in the Journal.

So, the BOD isn't cramming anything down your throat. Of the three
projects we have going, two will support transponders. The problem is we
are in a state of flux, and everyone on the BOD thought it was
appropriate to start small and work up, so projects are successful and
timely. I'm sorry if you don't agree with our philosophy.

> Oh, and Drew, No need to feel jealous about DX.  I heard it's easier to
> move farther north than to commit to building a HEO, but I'm still going to
> support Amsat-DL anyway.

Committing to something you cannot afford to do is not intelligent or
responsible. We can't afford a HEO right now, and this has been
explained a dozen times a dozen ways. Unless -DL gets funding from their
government, they can't afford the THREE MILLION dollars to launch P3E
either. Sucks, but it's time to quit whining and face the facts.

73, Drew KO4MA