Hi Ed,

Regarding power used:

I was running 25w (minus a few dB of coax losses) into an 8 element beam
(vertically polarized), and getting an S5 return on a 2x15 circular beam, with
a mediocre preamp.  I forget if it was RHCP or LHCP on the downlink at the time.

I don't have a power meter, but I could turn my 736R's Drive control about 3/4
of the way down before my signal got hard to hear.  Maybe 5w or so?  This was
when the bird was about 10-12 degrees up, in a direction that has about a 5
degree usable horizon (there's a hill in that direction).

Hope that helps,

Greg  KO6TH