Hello Alan WA4SCA and John K8YSE,

Thank you both for the SO-50 contacts at the Raleigh Hamfest (RARSFest)!  I
appreciate your sharp ears and return calls.  It made the demo successful.  The
location wasn't great (tall metal buildings!) but the biggest problem was a
setting on my radio that I FINALLY figured out.

Somehow, some way at Dry Tortugas the 2M uplink on my FT-817 had been changed
from the rear SO-239 (which I use with the Elk) to the front BNC connector...it
explains why I had no success on the boat ride from the island to Key West and
why I couldn't work anybody during my first pass attempt on AO-27 today.  Glad
to figure that bugger out!  I had the 435 band going to the right connector,
but since the 2M band was "hidden" because of split memory channels it took me
a while to figure it out.  I was transmitting into a BNC connector without any
antenna--hi hi.

The hamfest was well attended with many out of town hams in the area because of
the Easter weekend.  The weather was great (warm), and the RARS club is always
a great host.  They donate the booth (with power) and take good care of us.
Thanks go to Chuck K4HF and RARS!

73,

Mark L. Hammond  [N8MH]