So, I had pretty marginal copy in both SSB and CW, neither of which were quite
good enough to hold a QSO.  The odd thing is that CW did NOT improve things,
even with the narrow filter on my FT-736R.

The antenna is a 2x16 CP thing I picked up at a swap meet (so I don't know the
brand).  My copy was better with the CP relay UN-energized, so either it's
wired backwards, or something is broken.  On the man-made satellites, I have
used both polarization settings, so I know they both work.  Puzzle.

There's also a no-name preamp up there, after a bit of coax to get around the
rotor.  Below the preamp is mostly hardline.  Turning on the preamp results in
a small but noticeable rise in the base noise floor, so I believe it is
working.  And I Just got down from the roof, after checking the aiming using
the sun.  No problem there.  I even played with my W9GR DSP box, trying to pull
out the signal.  Didn't help much.

Don't get me wrong - it was a thrill just to hear the moon.  But what's wrong
with my setup?  The only other thing I can think of was that the moon was
north-east of me at the time, and that means aiming through a bit of oak tree.
Is that the problem?

Greg  KO6TH