Ah, but this focuses on my question: Why is ERP referenced to a dipole? Why did
someone assume that Arecibo's stated gain of 60 dB was dBd and not dBi? I've
never seen the gain of a dish antenna used in satellite work quoted in dBd. All
of the references for calculating gain are based on the isotropic reference.
And all of the usages I have seen (in professional satellite work) use ERP and
EiRP interchangeably, and the i in EiRP is used to explicitly state "referenced
to isotropic."

In fact, the amateur community is the only place where there is a fascination
with the dipole reference.

The dBd specs are useless for any real calculation purposes. Satcom engineering
is much simpler if everyone quotes isotropic, and all
commercial/government/military satellite link budgets are based on isotropic