Bob and all,

WAC definitely is possible - in some portions of the lower 48, at least - with
today's fleet of satellites. On the AO-7 passes that I've used to work Alaska
in the past, far eastern Russia was well within the footprint. The same is true
now for HO-68 during appropriate passes. The obstacle, of course, is a lack of
operators that far east in Russia.

Bob, I suspect you are too far east to be able to get Hawaii for Oceana.
However, stations at your latitude and slightly farther south (maybe as far
south as 45 degrees, but definitely at 40 degrees and north) who sit somewhere
from the Mississippi River east to at least the Cleveland area should be able
to earn Satellite WAC. UA9CS shows up fairly regularly on Mode B passes of
AO-7, and the log page on the AO-7 Web site reflects that K3SZH (Harrisburg,
Pa., area) works him fairly often. That is asiatic Russia, so would count for
Asia. K8YSE (Cleveland area) has worked WH6BIE on Oahu. I believe John may also
have worked Adrian, AA5UK, when he was portable earlier this month from KH6. So
that's Oceana.

EA8AVI is active on AO-7 and other satellites, and the Canary Islands provide
Africa. From this far south in EM84, I have worked all but Asia - and it IS
possible here. Sadly, however, it would involve finding an operator across the
Bering Strait who could work either AO-7 Mode B or HO-68 using either the
linear or FM transponder. I have looked at a gazillion low-angle AO-7 passes to
my east, and none of them have the right angles to fit UA9CS and me in the
footprint at the same time.

Given HO-68's nice footprint, I believe it should be very possible to earn
Satellite WAS hand-held (and, of course, with a base station) for any station
located from the creater Kansas City area west on the lower 48. It might even
stretch a bit farther east, but I haven't looked at it. Satellite WAS
definitely is possible as far east as my QTH, but it takes the right pass of
either AO-7 or (as I surprisingly discovered) FO-29. And this is about as far
east as either the AO-7 or FO-29 footprints will stretch. But that makes
Satellite WAS possible for a significant portion of the lower 48.

Before closing, let me add my congratulations to Loren on his all-handheld
Satellite VUCC. That's also how I earned mine (No. 170), and it was a real
thrill. The ironic thing is, it took longer to get all the cards I needed to
apply for the award than it did to actually work 100 grids. I needed 28 days to
work 100 grids, but another 49 days to get all the cards I needed to apply for
the award ... hihi. As a result, my all-handheld VUCC was, in all, a 69-day
project. I remember asking on this BB about who else had done all-handheld
VUCC, and there were several operators who responded.

Also - for Loren and others who might be interested - the QRP Amateur Radio
Club International has added satellite endorsements to many of its awards,
including its Grid Square and All States awards. The Grid Square Award is like
VUCC - it requires a minimum of 100 grids. However, the QRP-ARCI award is far
more rare. I suppose that has to do with the nature of QRP operation. I earned
Satellite Grid Square Award No. 1 from them, and it is only No. 7 overall. I
encourage anyone who has VUCC using HTs or a QRP rig like the Yaesu FT-817 to
check it out. The group's All States Award is like our Satellite Communications
Achievement Award, which requires confirmed contacts with at least 20
states/Canadian provinces/DX entities. The QRP-ARCI All States Award requires
contacts with a minimum of 20 states, and it offers endorsement in increments
of 10 states from there (i.e., 30, 40 and 50 states). I earned Satellite All
States No. 1 using only contacts I'd made,
 handheld, running 50 milliwatts out of my Yaesu VX-7 HT. My award, which is
only No. 16 overall, is for 30 states at .05-watt.

I suspect that Loren and others have more than they need to earn one or both of
these awards. They're not AMSAT awards, but neither is VUCC, WAS or WAC. For
those of us who enjoy low power, however, I believe they are nice additions to
the awards options we have.

Information on those awards is available at www.qrparci.org.

73 all,

Tim - N3TL