From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Alan
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 8:32 AM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: Doppler Tuning Convention Question

Folks I've been patiently silent reading this déjà vu annual discussion and
I'm getting a brain crap.

- comments that tuning the highest frequency is the "One True Method"
Yikes! Why is that?  So you can leap frog down the pass band and eventually
stomp all over a QSO where folks are tuning both TX and RX to maintain a
single constant frequency at the satellite?

I've read the " Doppler tends to move more quickly near mid-pass than the
computer and software routinely seem able to keep up".  Mid pass is when the
sat is moving most tangentially to you at which point Doppler shift is nil.

I've read statements from many taking pride in their lack of use of current
technology.

I've read that working tight SSB sats is easier than the wide band FM where
the satellite is very forgiving of your sloppy tuning.

I've read advise to someone using an FT 736r that your shouldn't tune the RX
and ignore the use of the NOR/REV feature, again so you can eventually stomp
on other QSO's as you slide down the pass band.

Have I just been transported into a Bizarro World?

73, Alan VE4YZ
EN19kv
AMSAT LM 2352
http://www.wincube.ca