From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of John Belstner
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 8:47 PM
To: Greg D
Cc: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: CP antenna from 2 WiFi panels

Hi Greg,

What I meant by "at best" is that it will certainly be a challenge (at 2.5
GHz) to get one panel just a perfect 1/4 wavelength forward from the other.
It will be equally as challenging (at 2.5 GHz) to make 75 ohm phasing cables
some odd multiple of 1/4 wavelength.

I say that because I found it quite challenging to make phasing cables for
1.3 GHz and even 440 MHz and I had a network analyzer to help me.  Just when
I thought I had it cut perfect I put the connector on and found myself 10 to
20 degrees off.  That will affect the circularity of the polarization.  I
finally gave up and mounted the elements of one yagi 1/4 wavelength forward
from the other and used equal length cables.

Physical spacing is easier to achieve within a few degrees at the lower
frequencies (VHF/UHF).  Another alternative would have been to use a 90
degree broadband hybrid (that can handle 25 watts) but that was much more $
than I wanted to spend.

If you have a helix already, I would use that.  But don't let me talk you
out of experimentation.  It is possible and might be fun.

73, John