Assuming TRANSIT uses an 8-bit byte, then it has the capability of sending
4,000 different messages (one for each bit). Probably would want some
checksum, so the total different messages would be less.

Hmmmm, with 3000+ message choices, there might be some good use.

Regional weather warnings? Status of 3000 different "stations"?

I actually had a TRANSIT receiver several years ago. It would still lock
onto the satellites, but the navigation information is no longer valid.
Bob is right: all it took was simple vertical to receive it.

For folks that don't know, TRANSIT was the one of the first satellite
navigation system. It was a GPS of sorts.

I've done DSP soundcard coding before. Years ago I wrote a DGPS decoder,
so if you need some more coders, I'd be happy to help.

Jon K7PGB