I've not had any problems bringing the bird up during the late passes such
as the one in question. Between 2200 and 0600 eastern, SO-50 is usually dead
and I find myself talking to myself H-I.

If you'd like to make another attempt I'd be willing to work a schedule with
you to test your gear and ability to work the bird.

Though I'd find it hard to believe it's your antenna... Truth be told I work
the birds on one of two antenna's depending where I am at that particular
passing. If I'm at work I'll work birds over 40 degrees on my mobile rig
with my dual band vertical mag mount. It works and watching my tracking
software on my iPhone I'm able to tell when the bird passes into my blind
spots as it passes. If I'm at home I use nothing more than a 2 meter 3
element beam and an HT in my back yard. SWR are low on 144 and 440 bands,
though my reception could be better I'm sure. However; to this date it's
worked. I've successfully worked AO-51, SO-50, ISS, and HO-68 (Hope-1) with
the set ups above with no more than 5 watts (I don't believe in using big
guns, conserve resources!).

As Rick said, FN42 and MA would be a new grid and state for me as well.

73
Jeremy
KB3DLP / FM19 York, Pennsylvania

PS: I too have read what AMSAT shows for the frequency shifting, however I
haven't experienced it yet myself, I still tune on the coordinated
frequencies without issue.

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:48 AM, Chris Danis <cda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Was anyone working SO-50 during its pass over FN42 at 12:25a Eastern /
> 05:25
> UTC?
>
> I just finished constructing a WA5VJB yagi just a few hours ago.  Was
> listening on the downlink during the pass but heard nothing.  (Didn't try
> transmitting.)  Maybe no one was on, maybe the downlink is shifted off
> frequency slightly (I see a note of reports of this in the AMSAT Status
> page
> for the bird), or maybe my setup is just broken (very possible -- it's all
> new and I don't know what I'm doing!).
>
> In any case, I'll be trying some other passes of FM sats tomorrow.
>
> vy 73
> -chris N2YYZ

KB3DLP, Jeremy Kiehner
Founder of S.P.A.R.S.E.