From: Tyler Nicholas
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:16 PM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: 2 ht vs. 1-duplex ht

I will second Drew on the FT-530.  I picked one up for under $200 that was
in awesome condition and it is the best HT I have ever owned (and I have
been through a bunch).  If you are even luckier, you might find one with the
MH-29 speaker mic that has a LCD display on it.  You can adjust the downlink
frequency with this mic and even see the frequency on it.  I also found some
massive batteries from W&W manufacturing that make this radio run forever.

For some other full duplex options, you might consider a Kenwood TH-D72.  I
haven't tried one, but I have seen good reviews on it as a full duplex
handheld.  It's a little pricey ($500) and unless you want the APRS in it, I
would seriously consider an FT-530 or the predecessor to the D72 which is
the Kenwood TH-D7A which can be picked up on eBay or elsewhere for a decent
price.

I would not recommend the Alinco DJ-G7 for full duplex. They are priced good
and will do full duplex, but the receiver has a densense problem when you
transmit on 2m.  It's a good radio otherwise, but the full duplex
performance is very poor unless signals are extremely strong (as in local
repeater strong).

I first started using two FT-60s in the beginning and I understand Zach's
problem with lugging everything in and out of the house.  Two HTs work just
fine, but if you are really serious about satellites, I would highly
recommend a full duplex HT.

Good luck,
Tyler Nicholas K5TDN

Sent from my iPhone