Hi Matthias, DD1US

The experiment to transmit to AO40 using a 2400 MHz uplink and a 24 GHz
downlink i.e the mode S1/K was made only ONE TIME and never was repeated
and it was skeduled by command station W4SM to check if the onboard 2400 MHz
S1 receiver was working or not.

There are many other 24 GHz downlink QSO's but they where all made using
the  1.2 GHz uplink i.e. using the mode L/K

Charlie G3WDG has the record of the above unique S1/K test and you can get
a copy from him.

By the way if I will be able to find the above WAV file in my PC I will send
it to you for your record.

I actually have on hand only the CD diskette of my signal on 24 GHz for the
above S1/K test as received in USA by Mike N1JEZ

Here is copy of the original text of the message sent by W4SM on AMSAT-BB
on day february 23 2003 after the succesfull experiment.

Two tests were performed on AO-40 today.

The first was a long shot and involved listening for the S1 transmitter
exciter stage using Günter Wertich's EME dish.  Nothing was heard during a
20 MA window of testing in which the S1 Tx was connected to the middle
beacon.

The second test involving the S-band receivers was completely
successful.  Extremely strong downlink signals were possible using S-band
uplink to K-band downlink.   Charlie (G3WDG) phoned me and I heard
beautiful downlink signals from his ~5 watt uplink to S1.  S2 was also
active, but because of its higher, less common frequency (2446 MHz), it may
not have been tested.  The S1 Rx uses the S1 Tx high-gain dish, and the S2
Rx uses the 5 turn helix used by the S2 Tx, so signals would not be as
strong through S2 at low squint.  More information will undoubtedly be
posted on this by the participants, but special thanks to Charlie (G3WDG),
Mike (N1JEZ),  and Dom (I8CVS), and any others who participated in this
successful test.

The S1 Rx can certainly be listed as fully functional.  We will await
further testing/info. on the S2 Rx.

W4SM for the AO-40 Command Team

73" de

i8CVS Domenico