Kevin,

I agree with Jeff.  The last time there were dedicated VHF radios was
when Heath still made them.  But today you can find very nice HF
radio kits and 2m and 70cm transceiver kits, which together make a
fine multi-mode VHF/UHF radio.

I would recommend the K2 HF radio kit from Elecraft
http://www.elecraft.com/
and either their transceiver kits or kits from Downeast Microwave:
http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/

I have the Elecraft K3 but it is not a traditional kit that is
assembled by soldering pc boards (but only a mechanical kit).

73, Ed
Perhaps there have been articles in QEX for building a complete radio
for VHF.  QST does not normally offer complicated projects.
If you look thru my website you will see that I build a lot of my
station, but not the central radio.

At 07:57 PM 3/4/2011, Jeff Moore wrote:
>Insulting people probably won't get you what you're looking for.
>
>I did a search of the QST archive and came up empty, so I doubt if there was
>an article (I could be mistaken).  Most kits out there are for HF equipment
>usually QRP (low power), I don't personally know of a 2m/70cm kit of any
>kind.  There are lots of homebrew projects but again they are mostly for HF.
>
>If you have more specific information, by all means post it here.  I'd be
>interested.
>
>As for other forums, they are too numerous to list.  Your best bet would be
>to go to Yahoo groups and do a search on applicable topics and/or equipment
>models.
>
>There are a lot of hams that still build stuff - mostly antennas, but other
>equipment as well.  There just aren't very many kits out there anymore.  If
>you run across a vhf/uhf kit of any kind, I'd be interested in learning more
>about it.
>
>Jeff Moore  --  KE7ACY
>CN94
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Deane" <summit...@live.com>
>
>Is there another forum, because obviously everyone here just buys everything
>and maybe have forgotten what this hobby is all about!
>
>I know there is a kit out there for a receiver and or a SSB converter.
>
>2-meter/70cm SSB receiver. I heard there was an article in QST so it must
>exist.
>
>I am young, enthusiastic, and have lots of time, any help would be great. :)
>
>Kevin
>KF7MYK

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45