Mark,

Gpredict should be blissfully unaware of the com port numbers. It talks to
hamlib via TCP/IP. The com ports should live only in the hamlib world.

Perhaps this weekend is time for a howto.

My guess is it reads as follows.
Install cygwin.
Download, compile, and install hamlib.
Test hamlib with you equipment.