Like Drew, I've had great results with linear antennas.  I use either
a linearly-polarized Elk antenna (for portable ops), or a home az/el
setup using a 2M7 (vertical) VHF yagi and a 15-el Diamond (horizontal)
UHF yagi.  Both systems work just fine for me on the FM and SSB sats.

73 de Dave KB5WIA / CM88