Hi Bill!

> Those of you working AO-7, what is a good minimalistic set-up?
> Should I be able to work it with an Arrow antenna, a RX pre-amp,
> and a Ten Tec Mode B box?

Another minimalist.....  :-)

Yes, you should be able to work it that way.  I currently work AO-7 and
the other non-FM birds (FO-29, VO-52, and - when it was working and
in SSB - HO-68) with the following:

TX: Yaesu FT-817ND (5W)
RX: another FT-817ND or Kenwood TH-F6A (all-mode receiver in this HT)
Ant: Elk Antennas handheld 2m/70cm log periodic

I have a 10-foot length of RG58 from the antenna to a Comet diplexer,
then 3-foot lengths from each band's port on the diplexer to each radio.
I do not use preamps, although on shallow passes I will not use the HT
as my downlink receiver.  The 817's receiver is more sensitive at 2m
and 70cm in SSB/CW, but HTs like the TH-F6A have receivers that are
more sensitive in FM.

In the past couple of years, I have logged several hundred QSOs in SSB,
and a handful in CW, with this portable station.  I don't have a home station,
so I do all my operating with this setup from wherever I go.  Other than the
antenna and anything not permitted in carry-on luggage, this station fits in
an old laptop bag, and has traveled across the US as well as to Canada
and Mexico.

Good luck, and maybe we can hook up on AO-7 or one of the other non-FM
birds.  73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/