Having the FT-847 since early 1998 and observing the IC-910 I would
recommend both over the TS-2000 or new IC-9100 on basis of bucks
spent.  I realize both the 847 and 910 are out of production but good
used units are available for <$900.

The TS-2000 "birdie" issue is unforgivable for the money spent
(Unless you are not interested in satellites which the FT-857/897
would then be my choice).  The IC-9100 is outrageously expensive and
would only be a choice if you have no HF equipment.  It is still too
new for a complete opinion (for what you spend you could have top
notch transverters and a new K3*, or buy two FT-817 with amps for a lot less).

*Note: the K3 is not able to do duplex at this time, but I have an
idea how it could by using the dual receiver IF.
My K3 with DEMI transverter is much superior to the FT-847 on 2m, but
that is only for very weak-signal applications (satellites are on the
strong side of weak-signal if you get my drift), and use on HF (which
is not the question that was asked).

73, Ed - KL7UW

At 06:46 AM 5/3/2011, Dee wrote:
>Andrew,
>Being in this end of the hobby for "many" years, I have learned that
>sometimes the choice comes down to what you can afford.  While the TS2000 is
>a nice radio, with the birdie problem, it leaves a question.  Ihave had 2
>Icom 910's for many years and even have one of them adapted with the 1.2ghz
>module.  Both have worked flawless and have been more than adequate.  The
>new ICOM 9100 (which you ask about) is a bit pricey for the bands provided.
>I have been following the production of the 9100 and it has become out of an
>average hams price range.  While the specs are very good, you can achieve
>the same effect with a TS2000 - Icom 910- Yaesu 847 and even the older icom
>820 (?) -
>Once again, I have always advised sat ops to spend the money on the antennas
>and coax as this is where you'll find the most advantage for your operation.
>Good luck and go to the AMSAT website to obtain a truck load of info
>pertaining to satellite station construction and operating advice.
>73,
>Dee, NB2F
>NJ AMSAT Coordinator

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45