From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Stephen E. Belter
Sent: 01 June 2011 13:20
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Thrust bearing maintenance

I have an Yaesu GS-050 thrust bearing that has been installed for about 15
years.  The thrust bearing turns, but requires a lot of force.

I disassembled the thrust bearing to find that the grease is very sticky
(think candy apple sticky), and not lubricative (if that is a word).

Should I take it to an auto repair shop and ask them to degrease and then
lubricate similar to repacking a wheel bearing?

What kind of grease should be used?

Thanks and 73, Steve N9IP
--
Steve Belter