At 04:19 AM 6/1/2011, Stephen  E. Belter wrote:
>I have an Yaesu GS-050 thrust bearing that has been installed for
>about 15 years.  The thrust bearing turns, but requires a lot of force.
>
>I disassembled the thrust bearing to find that the grease is very
>sticky (think candy apple sticky), and not lubricative (if that is a word).
>
>Should I take it to an auto repair shop and ask them to degrease and
>then lubricate similar to repacking a wheel bearing?
>
>What kind of grease should be used?
>
>Thanks and 73, Steve N9IP
>--
>Steve Belter

Steve,

When I was building my tower#2 in 2008, I considered buying a Rohn
TH-3 thrust bearing (about $200+) and was advised to look in ebay.  I
found a nice 3-inch ball-bearing radial-thrust bearing for about $35
(brand new).  It has a zerk fitting for a grease gun to maintain the
lubrication (which at the slow rotation of antennas is almost
never).  Ebay might be cheaper than a re-build.

73, Ed - KL7UW

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45