On 6/29/2011 5:14 AM, Thomas Doyle wrote:
> Very happy to see AMSAT on Facebook. I sent in a request to join.
> What would brighten my day even more is a threaded discussion group.
> I am sure most of us have used a Yahoo group. It is nice to be able to
> group postings by subject. It is also helpful to be able to search.
What's wrong with using a mail client that can exactly do that? Also
just archive the postings
to the mailing list and voila instant search on your desktop even
without Internet access if you
store local instead of on your mail server.
By moving all that to Facebook you would force people to sign up and use
a platform they may
not agree with instead of keeping it open. Facebook is a closed system
where nothing gets out.
Forget searching Google for something AMSAT related and finding it on
Facebook.
Modern mail clients can already accomplish all you're asking for without
change in infrastructure
and also without giving up the open nature of standards based
communication.

Just my $0.02

Mike K5TRI