From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On Behalf
Of Michael Schulz
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2011 3:34 PM
To: Tom Schaefer, NY4I
Cc: Amsat BB
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: Should I abandon full doppler correction?

Tom,

I tried full doppler control with HRD's sat tracking software and wasn't really
thrilled to say the least. I may again try
Macdoppler as it's so far the best sat program I've seen but my main shack
machine unfortunately is a Windows box
because HRD's logging software is more convenient than MacloggerDX with regards
to eQSL and LOTW.

The other reason I do it all manual (both doppler and rotor control) is that I
like to be in control :). If I would leave it all
to the computer and all I'd have to do would be press the PTT then where's the
fun in that? IMHO it's great building all
the computer control as a PoT but then when it works it becomes boring :).
I heard you loud and clear on FO-29 today.

73 Mike K5TRI

On Jul 24, 2011, at 4:17 PM, Tom Schaefer, NY4I wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just tried a nice pass on FO-29. I heard K9CIS on CW and W5BK from Texas.
> In both cases, while I am using full doppler correction with my 9100 and
> MacDoppler, I suspect they are leaving the transmit frequency fixed as they
> both changed frequency. K9CIS on CW was quite extreme in the Doppler shift. I
> know that this is a by-product of me using full doppler to listen to stations
> that are not, but it seems that the majority of the stations I hear are NOT
> using flu doppler. I have asked this question before, but it seems to be
> happening more frequently.
>
> Should I abandon full doppler correction? Another less black-and-white step
> is that if I hear a station moving to adjust my settings so I am not doing
> full doppler.
>
> Has anyone ever taken a survey to see how many satellite users actually use
> full doppler. Am I assuming more guys use computers and anyone of the
> multiple ways to do computer control that have ben available for years? Does
> anyone ever talk about this in AMSAT circles? Sort of like the encouragement
> one gives to people afraid of LOTW to try it? "Computers in the
> shack...NEVER!" I exaggerate but it seems that way. Then again, being a
> computer person and having computer capable rigs I realize I am skewed in my
> expectations. I know there are guys working with old 271/471 pairs or even
> the old FT726 out there. Great radios and a simple way to do it, but even
> they have ways to do full doppler control and they have been out for 20 years.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
> Tom Schaefer, NY4I
> n...@arrl.net
> EL88pb
> Monitoring EchoLink node KJ4FEC-L 489389
> DSTAR Capable  APRS: NY4I-15

NOTICE: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this communication to the intended
recipient, please advise the sender by reply email and immediately delete the
message and any attachments without copying or disclosing the contents. Thank
you.