Hi John!

> What is it only need to have the GPS at *one* location, which will be
> the intersection of the 4 grids (40 degrees North, 124 degrees West)
>
> -OR-
>
> in all 4 girds around the intersection.
>
> If I'm standing there looking at the darn thing within feet
> of it would that do?

Only if you had your station, or parts of it, on the boundary or
intersection.

Again, the complete VUCC rules can be found at the following link:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Awards/VUCC%20Rules%202011_Rev%2020110512.pdf

Please read through sections 4(e) regarding stations located at grid
boundaries and intersections and 4(f) regarding GPS receivers and
their requirements.  That should answer questions about locating
the stations *on* the line/intersection and not just *near* those spots.
If you have more questions about these rules, ARRL now has a new
e-mail address for VUCC-related matters: VUCCaward @ arrl.org

If the VUCC rules were as liberal as you mentioned about county
hunting, I'm sure many more grid boundaries and intersections
could be on the air.  It would be so much easier, and that may
have been some of the motivation in the rule changes a couple
of years ago.  I know of several different places I could put on
the air where I could see the intersection of 4 grids, but can't
actually put my station on the spot due to property ownership
(DM32/DM33/DM42/DM43 is in a farmer's field south of Phoenix -
I usually work from DM32/DM42 just south of this spot along a
road) or safety (DM35/DM36/DM45/DM46 is just inside the Grand
Canyon, north of its South Rim and east of Grand Canyon
Village) - among other places.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/