Hello AMSATs,

As we all know OSCAR is the abbreviatie of Orbiting Satellite Carrying Amateur
Radio.
To my opinion the function of  OSCAR satellites is to facilitate communication
between amateur radio stations using amateur radio frequencies and/or do
experiments on those radio frequencies.

Can someone tell me how it is possible that many of the newer small satellites
get a license to use ham radio satellite frequencies for only broadcasting data
?
Many of these satellite
 missions are even not ham related, and those satellites only have a broadcast
(downlink) radio onboard.
Is this nowadays seen as amateur radio communication ?

The word "Education" I read in many of the university CubeSat projects. Doing
experiments on ham radio frequencies is like education, and I fully support
this even when it is only available as a downlink at a CubeSat.
When it comes to the education of building a satellite, with no ham related
experiments, and where the amateur frequencies and the amateur community is
used to collect only none ham payload data, I don't see this as a ham satellite.
Then a 433MHz remote control toy-car should also be named a ham radio. We just
ask one of those ISS astronauts to throw this toy-car out of the space station
and we have another amateur satellite :o)

I just wonder where is the border between an OSCAR and a satellite that uses
ham radio frequencies for downloading its (none ham)
 payload data ?

73 de PE1RAH, William Leijenaar