From: i8cvs <domenico.i8...@tin.it>
To: William Leijenaar <pe1...@yahoo.com>; Amsat - BBs <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Saturday, 12 November, 2011 19:55:25
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: OSCAR or not OSCAR ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Leijenaar" <pe1...@yahoo.com>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:32 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] OSCAR or not OSCAR ?

On Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:32 PM, William Leijenaar wrote:

Hello AMSATs,

As we all know OSCAR is the abbreviatie of Orbiting Satellite Carrying
Amateur Radio.
To my opinion the function of OSCAR satellites is to facilitate
communication between amateur radio stations using amateur radio
frequencies and/or do experiments on those radio frequencies.

Can someone tell me how it is possible that many of the newer small
satellites get a license to use ham radio satellite frequencies for only
broadcasting data ?
Many of these satellite  missions are even not ham related, and those
satellites only have a broadcast (downlink) radio onboard.

Is this nowadays seen as amateur radio communication ?

The word "Education" I read in many of the university CubeSat projects.
Doing experiments on ham radio frequencies is like education, and I fully
support this even when it is only available as a downlink at a CubeSat.
When it comes to the education of building a satellite, with no ham related
experiments, and where the amateur frequencies and the amateur community is
used to collect only none ham payload data, I don't see this as a ham
satellite.
Then a 433MHz remote control toy-car should also be named a ham radio.
We just ask one of those ISS astronauts to throw this toy-car out of the
space station and we have another amateur satellite :o)

I just wonder where is the border between an OSCAR and a satellite that uses
ham radio frequencies for downloading its (none ham)
payload data ?

73 de PE1RAH, William Leijenaar

Hi William, PE1RAH

Yes, I agree with you, but you and I we are talking always to the same
people and some of them probably with their own interest as they are
closely connected to some CubeSat projects.

Most of them have no "satellite ham spirit" since they did not make the
experience we did with OSCAR-6-7-8 + the RS + the FO and than with
OSCAR-10, OSCAR-13 and AO40

My experience is, that they even don't want our support and advise..
from experience here in Italy, they don't trust and know everything better
anyway.. they even don't trust other Universities within the same
country, they see it more as a competition rather than a cooperation..

Every time I write........"to my opinion the function of OSCAR satellites is
to facilitate two way communication between amateur radio stations using
amateur radio frequencies and/or do experiments on those radio frequencies"
........I get insult from the above people because probably you and I we are
considered as two of those old "RF dinosaurs" that like to experiment into
space RF circuits building equipments and antennas  from the VHF to
Microwave.

I believe that things will change only when a HEO satellite will be in
orbit, hopefully P3E, because everyone will switch to it abandoning the
actual non ham payloads and will stop to collect telemetry data for no
ham related experiments.

Best 73" de

i8CVS Domenico