yes, heavy heart indeed!  thanks to all of you in the command team and AMSAT
for maintaining AO-51 for all these years....thank you for a job well done!

73's Peter VE7NGP

-----Original Message-----
From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On Behalf
Of Andrew Glasbrenner
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:56 AM
To: amsat-bb; ans-edi...@amsat.org; b...@amsat.org; senior-offic...@amsat.org;
advis...@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] AO-51 end of mission

It is with a heavy heart I report that AO-51 has ceased transmission and is not
responding to commands. The last telemetry data indicated that the third of six
batteries was approaching failure to short, and observations indicate the
voltage from three cells is insufficient to power the UHF transmitters. The IHU
may continue to be operative.  Initial tests with the S band transmitter were
also not positive, although more attempts are in order. We have tried leaving
the satellite in an expected state where if voltages climb high enough, the
435.150 transmitter may possibly be heard.

The command team will regularly attempt communications with the satellite over
the coming months (and years). There is always the possibility that a cell will
open and we could once again talk to our friend while illuminated. Thanks to
all who helped fund, design, build, launch, command, and operate AO-51.  It's 7
year mission has been extraordinary. Please support AMSAT's Fox-1 project, and
other AMSAT projects worldwide with your time and money.

For the AO-51 Command Team,

73, Drew KO4MA
AMSAT-NA VP Operations