From: zda...@gmail.com [mailto:zda...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of David Palmer
Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2012 1:06 PM
To: Vu Trong Thu
Cc: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] ARISSat-1 transponder question

Hi Thu,

Happy New Year to you as well!

I don't have a TS-2000 myself, but that rig should be fully capable of
working the ARISSat-1 transponder, many hams use the rig for AO-07 and
VO-52 which work essentially the same way as ARISSat.

The challenges (above copying the downlinks as you're doing now) are that
you'll need to have the uplink (70cm) antenna working, as well as have the
computer control of doppler for up/down on your rig.  SatPC32 works well for
this.  Also, signals through the transponder are very weak, so you'll need
to have some gain in the antennas and/or power on the uplink.

On a related note, I had a nice (short!) QSO with N6EV tonight through the
transponder -- 01/01/2012 0124z.  It's super-exciting to hear another
station coming through the passband!!!  ARISSat-1 may not have much time
left, but it's still working great.

73 and Happy New Year all,

Dave KB5WIA