>> ... Many of those same radios are being sold through legitimate/commercial
>> dealers ...

OK so far ...

>> ... for FRS/GMRS rigs ...

Not OK - they are not legal for either the GMRS nor the FRS.

>> ... the same Puxing ... was bought in large numbers in the Palm Springs area
>> for backup
coms between all the gated communities in case of an earthquake ...

The day my community uses Wouxun/Puxing products for ANY facet of community
service is the day I move. AFTER educating the powers-that-be of the dire
consequences of using sub-par equipment to protect their constituents.

But when it comes to these matters hams do not care about reliability or
dependability or service or parts availability - 'cause the "price is right."

You get what you pay for.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS