Hi Andy,

In all fairness to AMSAT-DL, they are an independent group of amateur
radio operators that have the right to dream big and try hard to make
it work.  They are in touch with the German Ministry of Science and
are still very actively looking at options for P3E. It is just not
that simple trying to compete for government funding to support a
launch. As for the status of P3E, the basic components are all there
and can be very quickly finished. Remember, they and we are all folks
that do that because of interest and willingness to volunteer. Yes, it
sounds good to pool all resources together and focus on one project.
At the same time, I think it is great that AMSAT NA is focusing on
Cubesats and AMSAT DL is focussing on P3E+. Diversity is good, as long
as it is not mutually exclusive. We have to have short term solutions
to be able to dream big and make it happen. That's really my key
message. We will always come up with the funds to build the satellite,
we will never come up with all the funds ourselves to launch it (even
AMSAT-NA needs NASA to launch a cubesat). At this point let us help
the folks with Kiwisat, Funcube and Fox etc.

At the moment P3E has a target for launch many of us will help
financially getting it ready. Let's not trash each others project (and
you are not doing that!) but help where it makes a difference right
now. We are sometimes our worst enemies.

BTW, just read the note that Sweden wants to cut out the amateur radio
2.4 GHz frequency for folks there (I think that what it was). They are
trying to make a case for the amateur satellite use of that portion of
the band and as far as I see it, there is no current active 2.4 GHz
satellite for us to point to. We don't even have an argument to help
them. We need any and all satellites to use the spectrum we have. The
more the better. Otherwise, the only thing left for us to do is to HF
(scary thought). Oh, by the way that's a joke (before I get blasted).

All the best, Stefan VE4NSA