Hi David,
As you found out shaded pole motors do not pull more current when they stall, they
actually pull less and so they wont blow the fuse, they just sit and cook.
So while your changing the motor now might be a good time to put 2 thermal cutout switches inside on the windings so this doesn't happen again,it takes two, one for each direction.

http://www.devale.com/battery-protection/miniature-bimetal-snap-disc.html
or
http://www.pepiusa.com/prod.html

explains them, and you can find them in small quantities at

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/765/Thermal-Fuses-Breakers-Switches/1.html

or at other places...

73
Kevin WA6FWF