From: i8cvs [mailto:domenico.i8...@tin.it]
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2012 3:27 PM
To: AMSAT-BB; Bob Bruninga ; kc6...@cox.net; Thomas Doyle
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Re: Antenna Polarization Technical Question

Hi Art, KC6UQH

It is correct that a QFH is circularly polarized over the whole envelope
of the antenna.If it is left wound the polarization is RHCP and if it is
right wound the resulting polarization is LHCP.

By the way the point is the satellite antenna.

If the satellite antenna is made using two crossed dipoles mounted in the
same mechanical plane and are supplied with 90° out of phase than the
radiated polarization is RHCP along one axial direction and LHCP along
the other axial direction.

Since the satellite is thumbling orbiting in the space than the polarization
coming from the satellite to earth or coming from the ground station to
the satellite is continuing changing from RHCP to LHCP to linear passing
through elliptical.

The bad point is that a QFH can only radiate RHCP or LHCP depending
on it's winding direction so that using only one QFH the QSB generated
by the satellite thumbling cannot be completely eliminated and two
switchable QFH's one RHCP and the other one LHCP would be necessary.

73" de

i8CVS Domenico