On 2012.10.19 08:19, Gus 8P6SM wrote:
On 10/18/2012 06:16 PM, STeve Andre' wrote:
It absolutely could be done -- with the right amount of money.
I'm not sure that a kick motor would ultimately be cheaper
than a flight designed to get something into HEO, nor as safe.
I think the problem with traditional kick motors is that they're big and
heavy.  Pretty much mandating a Fridge-Sat, not a Rubik-Sat.  Other
propulsion systems may be better suited to a small format.

I wonder what would happen if you electrically detonated a large
firearms cartridge in a small satellite.  I mean, exactly how much of a
'kick' do you need to get a small satellite up to a reasonable height?
Perhaps this is an experiment some university should conduct.

Here's also interesting concept and figures:

http://nextbigfuture.com/2012/02/electrolysis-propulsion-for-cubesat.html

73! Zilvis LY2SS