From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Raydel Abreu Espinet
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:23 AM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] New Cuban Stations on Satellites

Hello everyone,

As many of you should already know, now we have two new Cuban Amateur
Operators on FM Satellites. Recently CO7WT and CM2XN have finally achieve
their firsts QSO on SO-50 Satellite. This may look simple, but for a Cuban
Ham this is a great success, after many weeks of antenna building, equipment
adjustments and learning, this two fellow hams enjoy of the amazing
opportunity of make a QSO on a FM Transponder Satellite. They know there is
a lot more of operating skills to learn and they are very happy to do so.

This apparent little success is a great success and motive of pride for the
Cuban Satellite Group named GROS, "Grupo de Radioaficionados para
Operaciones Satelitales" (Ham Radio Group for Satellite Operations ...a very
free translation...) One of the many objectives of our Satellite Group is to
promote this part of the hobby to our fellows ham. Many Cubans hams does not
have the required equipment to successfully make a satellite QSO, but with
the help of the Group they can put their technical skills to work and
success. Few other Cuban hams has the required gear but they usually thought
working a satellite is too difficult. However, with these little success the
Group can show to the rest of the Cuban ham community how two stations using
inventiveness and perseverance worked a FM Satellite, and perhaps those hams
with the proper equipments finally decide to get on the air and activate new
grids.

CO7WT, Pavel is the Group's Technical Vice-Coordinator. And CM2XN, Jose, is
a Group new Member since 1 month ago.

The Group continues with the VHF Nets in Havana Province two times a month
on Fridays and we are working on extend it to a National Net on HF one time
by month on the future. The Group's First National Meeting continues
postponed due to logistical arrangements but it is still as a priority to
the Cuban National Amateur Radio Federation (F.R.C. - FederaciĆ³n de
Radioaficionados de Cuba) and we have their full support.

You are free to ask any question or send comments regarding the Cuban
Satellite Group to any Member of the Coordination Board as well to any
member in general.
- CO6CBF, Hector, Vice-Coordinator (co6...@frcuba.co.cu)
- CO7WT, Pavel, Technical Vice-Coordinator (pa...@conas.cu)
- CM2ESP, Raydel, Coordinator (cm2...@frcuba.co.cu)

There is a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eocmIubIBQ4) of Hector,
CO6CBF, at the 2012 AMSAT Space Symposium talking about how a Cuban Ham
operate a satellite. Thanks to Patrick WD9EWK and AMSAT for such
opportunity!!!

All the best from Cuba and thank all of you for your help, patience and
understanding.

73,

Raydel, CM2ESP
GROS Coordinator

PS: Sorry if I write something wrong, my english is not perfect.....