Hi all,

wifi over long distance is a reality on earth-based point-to-point links,
with distances up to 200miles. The long distance means long latencies, thus
the standard wifi protocol needs to be modified. It exists today
implementations of the modified protocols for the WRT54G router.

To cope with the link budget you need higher power (i.e power amplifier)
and high gain antennas, and this should not be a big deal even on a
spacecraft, although I am a bit concerned on the possibility of fitting a
high gain antenna on top of a cubesat. Maybe it would be feasible at 5GHz,
but in any case you would need 3 axes stabilization of the spacecraft.

What looks more difficult to me is the Doppler shift compensation, as the
wifi transceivers do not have (at least to my knowledge) the possibility to
fine tune the channel frequency.

I know that long range wifi has been investigated on south america to help
connecting isolated villages in the jungle, and by a group of Italian
researchers (http://www.ixem.polito.it/index_e.htm), and a high datarate
link has been established with a stratospheric balloon.

It is an interesting discussion topic, and I hope somebody with more
experience on the topic will jump into the discussion.

Simone IW1FYV