Hello James, I just wanted to throw my two cents in on the protocols. I'm
not sure about the need for AX.25 implementation. The 802.11(Wi-Fi)
standard should server the purpose needed. AX.25 is a considerably limited
protocol. Low speeds, limited error correction, and frankly, it defeats the
purpose of putting a wifi router in orbit to begin with. One key feature of
802.11 is its ability to operate in less than ideal conditions. The
protocol natively supports error correction, multiple simultaneous users,
and can avoid data collision with "carrier-sense" technology.
Also, long distance shouldn't be too large a concern. I seem to remember
reading about a successful experiment involving high altitude balloons.
I may too not be entirely accurate on the above, I'm still in college for a
networking degree. I'm just going on what I've learned so far.

Joshua KJ4VYR