Yep, it's about 13* here in SoCal.

Jim

On 05/22/2013 11:39 AM, Rolf Krogstad wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to say it makes a  difference because of Magnetic
Declination - the difference between magnetic north and true north.

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 6:37 AM, Rolf Krogstad <rolf.krogs...@gmail.com>wrote:

Jim makes a good point.  Know where the points of the compass are.

And, depending on where you are located, that is not as simple as just
taking out a compass.
It can make a fair amount of difference if you are in the western states
of the US and not so much, if any, if you are in some place like Pensacola,
Florida.

NOAA has a calculator:  http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/#declination

73
Rolf   NR0T