Hi Phil,

QFH is effectively circularly polarized, it is often used for GPS
receivers, since when you point it skywards the main lobe points trough the
zenith, while nulls are pointing to the horizon (where you do not have
satellites normally).

In my opinion QFH risks to be quite bulky for a balloon, since it will
occupy a cylinder 1 wavelength high (70cm in your case).

To keep it simple, I would rather go for a pair of crossed dipoles 90°
phased over a ground plane: the crossed dipoles will be fairly larges
(about half wavelength, 35cm) but light since it is made of some sort of
rigid wire. The reflector can be the bottom side of the payload, if the
latter is cubic-shaped and it's at least 35x35cm (otherwise, you can use a
metal net and fix it to the bottom of the payload.

The crossed dipoles will be 1/4 of wavelength spaced from the reflector,
that is 17.5cm in free space, but can be reduced if you insert some sort of
dielectric (like Styrofoam).

The gain will be essentially an hemisphere, if you need to reduce it on the
horizontal direction, just enlarge a bit the reflector, and bend it
slightly trough the dipoles.

Unfortunately I do not have any figures on hand for the cross-polarization
performances, but IMHO, this is the best complexity-performance compromise.

73s

Simone - IU1AFY (ex. IW1FYV)