Phil,

you probably know an order of magnitude better than me, but anyway: if you
have the freedom to design the transmission mode, have a look at the
techniques used by DVB-T/DVB-H, which face similar or worse multipath
problems (transmitter is much closer to the ground): use COFDM, splitting
the bandwidth into multiple subcarriers, and them modulate each subcarrier
using QPSK or even QAM. Then you are making the symbol period much longer,
improving immunity against multipath; but at the same time your symbols are
much more complex, thus binary efficiency is not much worse than a similar
single-carrier system. At high speeds doppler becomes a problem, but it's a
matter of achieving a balance between multipath immunity and doppler
tolerance.

Miguel EA1ICZ