I know there was some question as to why the satellite comes up in Mode B
nearly all of the time after coming out of eclipse.

The "AMSAT-OSCAR 7 Technical Operator's Plan And Experimenter's Guide"
found starting on page 75 of this PDF (
http://ka9q.net/AMSAT-Newsletter-1974.pdf) says that the clock
automatically switches the satellite to Mode B at 0000 GMT. If the clock is
reset by eclipse to 0000, it stands to reason that it would always come up
in Mode B out of eclipse.

The satellite apparently knows somehow that it hasn't just been launched
since it's designed to come up with only the 70cm beacon operating after
launch.

73,

Paul, N8HM