In fact many, many VOLUNTEER hours have been put in by the AMSAT leadership to get the two launch opportunities we have for Fox-1 and RadFXSat. You wouldn't believe the work involved. They deserve a big thank you for getting that done for us!

It would be wonderful to share everything going on "behind the scenes". To keep everyone updated often, on what the state/progress is.
But for a few reasons, it doesn't quite happen that way...
Number 1 reason the many, many volunteer hours just spent on the project means that the rest of the time is spent on those things outside the hobby like a normal person. I mean, how often do any of us sit down and write a detailed letter to the BB about our AMSAT activities over the last week or month? If we had a PIO that could relate the Fox-1 happenings to everyone... well, everyone would each still have to spend time telling the PIO what they have been doing! There are a lot of people working just on Fox-1, scattered all over the United States. I'm sure everyone who has done weekly status reports knows how fun that is.
Number 2 reason, ITAR.

Perhaps you say well Jerry, you just spent time writing this email...

Then in the same amount of time I could tell you without jeopardizing the project, AMSAT, or my prison-free existence, after sitting for a few moments to recall what I did over the last week or two, that I worked on a lot of system bus changes and their related document updates (the same Fox-1 documents you read in the 2012 Symposium proceedings) because of design evolution, I worked on the downlink specification (how we're going to get all of the wonderful telemetry and pictures to you and our university partners), I researched and worked on changes to systems interfaces (design evolution again) and updated those documents, checked up on requirements tracking (very important to be sure we don't miss anything), and worked on test procedures. Talked to Tony on the phone, had an IHU software team conference call. Emailed a lot with other Fox-1 team members. And yes this took me about 10 minutes to recall and write here.

Was any of what I said about what I did of interest to this group? Maybe. Useful information? Not so much. Something you want to hear about on a regular basis? Probably not, there's not much real value in what I just said. I doubt that any of us working on the project are very good at "sound bites". That's not what we get paid* for.

Now add to that the fact it would take more time to relate any of the details of what I did and even more time to determine what details I might safely relate in respect to ITAR, writing a letter to the BB or even an article for the Journal about what just I did becomes quite frankly, something I don't want to do. And I imagine that holds true for a lot of us.

I'll be working on Fox-1 some more now but later today I'd like to eat a snack and play a video game for a bit, then make supper for the XYL and spend time with her when she gets home from work if you please. Oh and we have another Fox-1 conference call tomorrow, hope the XYL didn't already have plans for anything around 11 AM.

Fox-1 is moving ahead on schedule, and there are things of public interest to share which are documented on the AMSAT web site or in the ANS. That's all...

I think it would be fair to say that the Fox Team are all as excited and anxious as you are to get these satellites built and launched! It is hard work. But I love my job!

Sorry if I wandered off topic, but Drew's comment about having a little more faith is on target. We have one very dedicated leadership and group of people volunteering for us.

Jerry
N0JY

*You didn't really think we get paid? There wouldn't be anything left to pay Martha!